UPDATE: Abducted Peace consultant for NDFP in Cagayan Valley, Philippines surfaced in PNP-CIDG’s custody

Randy MalayaoOn May 15, 2008 at around 8 o’clock in the evening, Randy Felix P. Malayao, 39 years old, was having dinner with his friends at a restaurant in SM North EDSA in Quezon City when they noticed two men suspiciously looking at them (both were sporting crew cuts and holding high-tech mobile phones with headsets). One of his female companions noticed the men still observing them, and suggested that they transfer to another place. While leaving, another companion of Randy heard one of the men, said ‘positive sir, positive’ while still following them.

They then proceeded to a fast-food chain along Ortigas Avenue in Pasig City. Again, they noticed a burly man also sporting a crew cut, wearing shorts and slippers and a headset, observing them. This man was accompanied by two more men with the same built and gadgets. Randy told his friends not to worry.

Shortly before 9 P.M., Randy left and walked towards Ortigas Avenue to get a cab but it was difficult to find one so he decided to ride a G-Liner bus instead. He was on his way to a relative’s house in Pasig. He sent a text message to his friends and relatives that he was on his way to the relatives’ place.

When his relatives inquired about his location, Randy replied that he was somewhere in Rosario, Pasig and stuck in traffic. By 9:17 P.M. he sent a message that he was being followed.

It was the last message received from him and his relatives did not hear from him since. He did not make it to his relatives’ house.

Randy’s relatives have again tried to call him several times on his mobile phone but it kept ringing. Sometimes it rings and turns busy and other times they hear music and different sounds as if the phone was being held close to a radio device and then disconnected after a few seconds. The phone could no longer be reached by noontime of May 16.

Malayao was listed in 2003 as a co-accused in the killing of martial law henchman Cagayan Congressman Rodolfo Aguinaldo. Malayao denied his involvement. The New People’s Army claimed to have, under their justice system, meted death sentence to Aguinaldo in 2001 for alleged “crimes against the people.”

Several weeks ago, officers of the 5th Infantry Division of the Philippine Army (5th IDPA) bragged over local radio station Bombo Radyo in Cauayan City in Isabela that it was only a matter of time when Malayao would fall into their hands.

A quick reaction team (QRT) was dispatched by Karapatan and Desaparecidos since Sunday, March 17 after family and friends sought their help.

After five (5) days, around 10:30A.M. of May 20, Randy was presented by the Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) to the media at Camp Melchor Dela Cruz in Upi, Gamu, Isabela, Northern Philippines. He was brought before the Regional Trial Court in Tuguegarao, Cagayan and is currently detained in Cagayan Provincial Jail facing murder charges.

According to the victim, he was grabbed by government agents as he went down the bus at around 9:45P.M of May 15. He was shoved inside a vehicle, the model and brand of which he did not know. He was immediately blindfolded and he recalls that he could hear the sound of aircrafts passing above the place he was brought to.

Malayao said he did not have any concept of time while under interrogation. He said the military covered his head with a plastic bag while being hit in different parts of the body. The soldiers threatened that he would be killed and that his mother will never see him again. His blindfold was only removed when he was presented to media on the 20th of May, five days after he was abducted. #